Friday, November 23, 2012

Thanksgiving Parade!

Hey guys so today I'm not exactly going to do a art post. Since yesterday was Thanksgiving, I'd first of like to wish you a very Happy (belated!) Thanksgiving, and I think that all of us have a lot to be thankful for. But remember, that there was also something else that happened yesterday: the annual Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade! I for one enjoy this parade a lot, and enjoyed this year's parade as well. The only bad part of watching the whole parade is of course, waking up early, something that I'm incapable of doing! So of course, I just HAD to wake up ten minutes too late. Now in my opinion, the best part of every parade I'm going to tell you some facts on these amazing and eye-catching features in this parade.

I know that many of you love these balloons, but do you really know the facts about them? Today's post will be full of facts such as:

-As soon as the parade ends, they start preparing for the following year. Making the balloons is a year-round effort.

-Before, they used to inflate balloons the morning of the parade, for smaller audiences, today the Macy's day parade is watched by more than 3.5 million people live, and another about 65 million watch on television.

-Studio artists first mold the character sculpture using clay. Once it's finished and polished, a solid version is created out of plastic.

-The mold is divided into two layers. The inner section is placed directly over the clay and is made of a silicone rubber, which gives it a flexible hold, while the outer section is a rigid shell to cradle the inside.

-Than, two plastics are mixed together to create a cast model...the first model is done!

I know that a lot more work is needed for the balloon to be done, but I just decided to share some of these steps for you. I hope you enjoyed my post and learned something new! In the comments below, please tell me your favorite part of the parade yesterday! For more information, check out: http://www.history.com/ 
which, by the way is where I got information for this post from That's all for now...bye!

1 comment:

  1. Niyanta, I love all these facts and I love the way you organized this post!

    ReplyDelete